We are a membership-based organisation registered as a charity with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission that has Deductible Gift Recipient status.
As a not-for-profit, charitable Company Limited by Guarantee, Playgroup Queensland understands the importance of conforming to regulations and performing for accountability to those who help fund us – including governments, sponsors, philanthropists and members.
Accordingly, we have a culture and commitment to strong, effective governance.
Our Directors, Board Secretary, Officers and key staff are trained in governance through formally recognised courses at:
· The Governance Institute of Australia (GIA)
· The Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD)
· The Australian Centre for Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies (ACPNS)
To guide our governance, we refer to the following authoritative documents:
· Governance Institute of Australia (GIA)
· Australian Charities and Not-for-profit Commission (ACNC)
· Standards Australia (SA)
· Institute of Community Directors Australia (ICDA)
· Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD)
To effectively and efficiently ensure good governance, we have:
· an Annual General Meeting of members and stakeholders where the Board of Directors is elected;
· a separate, formally qualified and experienced Board secretary responsible for ensuring governance;
· a Board of Non-Executive Directors who provide strategic guidance and oversight to the CEO
· a CEO who operationalises strategic direction through the exeuctive management team including resources dedicated to:
· delivering our constitutional mandate
· financial budgeting and management
· workplace health and safety
· preapring and implementing policies and procedures
· applying internal audits.
In addition, we also have systems that improve our governance including:
· policies and procedures
· risk framework and evaluation.
· financial management and independent auditing
· a whistleblower process
- Our constitution was last revised in 2014 and lists the following objects:
· to provide relief and support to children, their families and carers experiencing disability, vulnerablity or who are disadvantaged during a child's early formative years;
· to enrich and support families and the community by establishing, promoting and developing playgroups and services in Queensland to meet community needs;
· to encourage and provide the opportunity for increased adult-child interaction during a child’s early formative years;
· to provide stimulating and diverse environments in which the relationship between a parent or carer and a child can be developed through play and where children from diverse socio-economic and cultural backgrounds can develop creatively and socially at their own pace
· to provide advisory services and support to parents, carers, governments and the community in relation to child development.
- 2016-2020 Strategic Plan
Connected Children, Families and Communities
Support children and families to build knowledge, skills and confidence for lasting social benefits.
· Learning through play.
· Sharing experiences.
· Respecting & including everyone.
· Enabling best possible childhood.
· Providing proven programs.
· Delivering more.
· Australia’s Investment in Early Childhood should lead the OECD.
· Increased Playgroup engagement increases social benefit.
· The education continuum starts from birth through play.
· Families & communities are the first and most vital teachers.
· Children are experts in playful learning.
· Focus on children 0-5 yet include all children & pre-birth.
· Deliver more products & services to more families.
· Increase profile, brand awareness and engagement.
· Innovate for better service delivery.
· Run a self-sustaining business with a charitable cause.
· Contribute to alignment of a national playgroup network.
· Increase member engagement & life.
· Broaden parent & carer support mechanisms.
· Develop fundraising, philanthropic and social enterprise revenues.
· Support the Early Childhood (EC) community
· Educate the broader community about EC issues
· Advocate EC needs to those of influence
· Contribute to Research efforts to benefit EC community
· Resource PGQ to deliver services
· Administrate with best Social Enterprise practice for NFP